Due to failures of public trust, national media have not adequately publicized the Great Gun Grab in post-Katrina New Orleans. Independent writers and the National Rifle Association work to inform citizens of one of the most onerous miscarriages of justice ever perpetrated on American citizens.
- The Great New Orleans Gun Grab Descent Into Anarchy by Gordon Hutchinson and Todd Masson
“The Great New Orleans Gun Grab tells the story of New Orleans residents who legally defied mandatory evacuation orders to protect their property, and who were subsequently beaten, harassed and robbed of their guns by the very civil authority that was funded and charged to protect them.”
- YouTube video Gordon Hutchison dispels the myth that New Orleans was under martial law and relates the story of Patricia Konie who was brutally assaulted by three California Highway Patrolmen who were directing residents to evacuate from New Orleans.
- YouTube video NRA: The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina (7:49) tells the story of Patty Konie. Patty did not want to evacuate because of her pets. She had ample food supplies and water. Witness for yourself a brutal assault on a harmless elderly woman. Other testimonies of victims of gun confiscation will anger you. Baptist minister Marie Galatis shares a story similar to countless other victims of law enforcement thugs who unlawfully seized defensive weapons from law-abiding citizens. NOPD threatened to take her gun, but she retained it and was not forcibly evacuated. “They didn’t care what your rights were. They were going to deny them.”
- YouTube video National Guard Confiscating Guns in New Orleans “no orders to use force just strong persuasion”. In one neighborhood, one similar to Heath, residents chose to arm themselves and stay to protect their homes. These residents were handcuffed on the ground, weapons seized and they were released.
On September 12, 2005, a federal restraining order to end illegal gun confiscations went unheeded. NRA filed a motion for contempt against the city and its mayor, Ray Nagin. Quote: “Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment,” said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. “During a federally declared emergency, he abused his power and abandoned the very people he was sworn to protect. He took away the victims’ freedom and their basic means of self-defense during an ill-fated and perilous time.”
Points of Order
- The Second Amendment has nothing to do with weapons and everything to do with the Right to Life that encompasses the Right to Survival, the Right to Self-defense against unlawful foes.
- NOPD law enforcement, aided by national guardsmen, confiscated weapons from law-abiding citizens who possessed lawfully-purchased weapons, some for hunting, others for self-defense. Not once did they seize weapons from criminals.
- District of Columbia v. Heller decision
- “… the Second Amendment protects a pre-existing, private, individually-held right, to keep arms and to bear arms, without regard to a person’s relationship to a militia”
- “The decision struck down the District’s bans on handguns and on having any gun in operable condition as violations of the Second Amendment, and prohibited the District from denying plaintiff Dick Heller a permit to carry a firearm within his home on “arbitrary and capricious” grounds.”
The Big Question
What would happen in Rockwall County if an unlawful order by Rockwall Chief Moeller or Heath Chief Garrett directed law enforcement officers, with or without the aid of military personnel, to seize lawfully owned firearms?