Left “Gunning” for Your Liberty
Rahm Emanuel infamously said, “Y0u never want a serious crisis to go to waste. It’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before [the crisis].”
The slaughter of 28 persons in Newtown, CT is a made-for-the-leftist crisis/opportunity to do what they thought they could not do beforehand.
News articles of one sort or another decry gun violence in America, disregarding the big picture of death in our vast country.
- on average, 2,800 unborn children are murdered in the wombs of their mothers daily
- 2011 statistics indicate 32,367 deaths from vehicular accidents, a rate of 10.3876/100,000 population
- 2009 stats record 9,406 deaths by AIDS, a rate of 3.1/100,000 – total infections recorded were 34,247
- U.S. deaths by firearms in 2011 were 9.0/100,000. How does this compare with other nations? See below chart.
Firearm-related death rate
Yes, it’s true a lot of people die from gunfire in our country, yet let’s remember ours is a very, very big country more than 20 times the size of the typical country found throughout the world, leaving out India and China.
Why, pray tell, is the death rate so much lower for countries like Switzerland and Israel? I attribute that to two factors. First, guns are required for certain persons in both cases and, second, they have more homogenous societies. Here, where we have diversity of people groups we have ample opportunity for all manner of things to happen. It’s worth noting that the states with greatest per capita crime are also states that deny or make near impossible concealed-carry permits for self protection.
What Can I Do?
First and foremost, educate yourself to the facts. Read your founding documents on a regular basis. There are free on-line resources for this purpose.
- Declaration of Independence text on-line
- U.S. Constitution text on-line
- Federalist Papers text on-line
Second, contact your Congressional delegation. Tell them to oppose anti-Bill of Rights legislation like arbitrary gun ownership restrictions.
Third, join organizations that work to preserve our God-given natural rights. ACLJ, ADF, Liberty Council, NRA, GOA, TSRA, etc.